Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Outsider

So I visited a new church today. Mainly because I have to evaluate 7 different sermons from 7 different churches/pastors for an Oral Communication in Ministry class. I went by myself, sat by myself, and felt like I was going to worship by myself. It wasn't until right before the service started-mind you, I had been there 20 minutes early-that a lady and her son sat semi-close to me and she said "Good morning."

Those were the only words spoken directly to me before the music started playing.

There were hundreds of people there.

Needless to say, I felt very alone in the midst of a crowd. While feeling self-pity at the beginning of the service, I started to think about how I treat those that visit my home church. We do have a VERY small congregation, especially compared to what could be called St. Louis' "mega-church", but people still visit.

And I treat them the same way I was treated this morning.

I overlook people, telling myself that someone else will welcome them and make them feel at home. Maybe if they come back a couple times, I'll go introduce myself and maybe we can be friends. How prideful can I be?!

If every 'Christian' has that thought, no wonder people are turned away from the Church. If everyone has the mindset that "someone else will cover it", nothing will ever get done. And I think that could be a big problem in some churches today-no one is willing to step up in faith and say, "I'll love/serve/give/pray like Jesus did."

One of my favorite motto's is-"Blessed to be a Blessing". It a favorite that I very rarely live out.

My challenge to myself, and to the Christian reading, is to love unconditionally. From this day forward to serve with the heart of Christ; love as He loved; comfort and encourage 'the least of these'.

1 John 3:16-"By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

Be intentional. Love well.

No comments: