Sunday, February 21, 2010

Forgiveness

I had an opportunity to forgive someone today. And I did.
And no, it's wasn't simply for my benefit.
I've heard it said, and I've said many times, "forgiveness isn't for the other person, it's for you." And while I agree with that statement, I must admit that I believe it needs some revising.
"Forgiveness isn't just for you or just for the other person. It's for both people. It's for freedom from the bondage of bitterness."

While having lunch today I realized that I needed to forgive someone, and in my mind I said I needed to forgive them so that I wouldn't feel bitter about the situation. I don't really think that's what Jesus had in mind when He hung upon the cross.

His death wasn't so He wouldn't feel bitterness towards His children. It was for atonement. Justification. Redemption. It was for our freedom; it was because of Love.
Forgiveness is something that we as Christians should be willing to do, not so we can feel better about ourselves, but because we have been shown the ultimate forgiveness.

Moral of the story: don't make forgiveness a selfish thing. Love because He has loved us. Forgive because He has forgiven us.

No comments: