Saturday, February 23, 2013

game day.

Today is a big day in the little town of Licking, MO. Both varsity basketball teams are going to take the court tonight for a winner takes all show down in Class 3 District 10 basketball.

7 years ago, I had the privilege to be on a team that was on the road to our third 20+ win season and second district title. At the time, it was the greatest thing I thought I would ever be a part of. At the end of that night, I had the ball in my hand as the buzzer went off, threw it up in to the rafters and ran to celebrate with my team. It was one of my favorite games to ever play in. 

For a long time, I lived in that identity. I lived in the fact that I was an athlete. My win/loss record on the court reflected how I felt off the court. 
If I failed as the point guard, I felt like I was failing as a friend, a daughter, a sister, a community member, a student...everything...I failed.

Luckily, I've come into the saving knowledge of God's love and grace and my identity is not wrapped up in how "good" I used to be on the basketball court, softball field, or discus ring.

If my identity were left to sports, I would be a miserable person. 
I loved being a Wildcat. I loved playing in Sherman Hill Field House. I loved wearing #33 on my back for 4 years.

But I love Jesus more. And He loves me more than the trophies no one really looks at anymore.

My challenge to the Cats today: don't let tonight become your identity--win or lose. Know that life is bigger than basketball.

Now. Go kick some butt.

GO CATS!

No comments: