Sunday, March 20, 2011

where's my worth?

A theme that has been popping up in my life a lot lately is: identity.
1) What is it?
2) Where does it come from?


As to what identity is, I think when you ask someone in general conversation they would say that your identity is "who you are." Often when I think of identity the first thing that comes to mind is "value." Is your worth found in your identity? I would answer with a resounding YES! That's why it's so important to understand and know with certainty where our identity comes from!


So, where does it come from and how do we get it? First and foremost, as a Christian my identity is found in Christ alone; however, too often we become like Israel in Hosea 13:2-"they..make for themselves metal images, idols skillfully made of their silver."
Rather than our identity coming from Christ, it comes from what we can do ourselves; what can I make/do/achieve that will up my status/worth and make me a better person.
Selfish mentality.

The following is an excerpt from a class handout I received this semester:

"[The principles] for locating our identity (worth) in Christ alone and in nothing else (our jobs, our pedigrees, our wealth, our intelligence, etc.) are:

  • We are beloved by God. In the book, 'What's so Amazing about Grace,' the author, Phillip Yancey says this, 'there is nothing that we can do in which God will love us less, there is nothing we can do in which God will love us more, He loves us.'
  • Progressive sanctification says, 'It will take a long time for us to actually believe this.' We often believe that God loves us (this love was supremely illustrated by His son's death on our behalf) but we do not appropriate this truth.
  • When we fully appropriate the meaning of 'God's love for us,' we can stop being fake and we become REAL!"
Professional Orientation; Some universals for all Servant Leaders: Identity;
Professor Bobo's Ruminations, Spring 2011

As Christians, when we come to truly understand the love and grace of God, we can't help but feel overwhelmingly valuable!! The Bible says in Zephaniah 3:17-"He [the Lord] will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing."
Do we get that?! Do we truly find our identity in the Lord of Lords singing a loud love song to us?

Too often we (I) try to find our identities in our relationships with friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, job, athletics, schoolwork, approval, etc. Too often I think, "Wow, why am I not good enough
to help with this project...
to be with this guy...
to get this grade...
to be on that team...
to get that job..."

My identity should not be in these things. My identity is in Christ. And when I fully come to understand that, that project/guy/grade/team/job won't matter.
I will matter because of who I am in Christ.
I DO matter because of who I am in Christ.

From the song, "Beautiful" by Bethany Dillon:
"You make me beautiful
You make me stand in awe
You step inside my heart, and I am amazed
I love to hear You say
Who I am is quite enough
You make me worthy of love and beautiful"


Lord, help me to find my identity in You and only You. Open my ears to hear Your love song over me and understand that I am Your beloved.

Keep on keepin on-

No comments: